Checking in {on my resolutions}

Can I tell you a secret? I've been trying to write this post for over a month. Which is funny because my first resolution for the year was to break my bad habit of procrastination. I thought it would be fun to check in with my New Year's Resolutions. I've got to tell you reading them makes me feel like a total loser. I haven't really followed them at all. But I guess that is ok. Most resolutions are broken anyway am I right? I guess if I have to re-read these every three months or so, I just may get off my ass and actually put them into motion. I have a plan. We are a little over four months into the year and I'm going to try really hard to break bad habits, be inspired by people, and make some changes for a happier more productive year. 

Let's check in on my resolutions so far...

A bad habit I’m going to break: 
Procrastination.  And not washing my face before bed.  I know, right?

Let's say that none of this is happening. I'm still procrastinating like I'm being paid to do so. I haven't been washing my face before bed, which is terrible because I now wear more make up than ever! Also I put off writing for days. I have no idea where that feeling came from. So Procrastination is still a number one bad habit that needs to be broken. Any suggestions?

A new skill I’d like to learn:
Last year I was totally game to learn to knit.  Still haven't so I think I'll stick with knitting.  Any good tutorials out there?

Nope. Not even close. I also have yet to sew a project, use modge podge, or bake any kind of treats for either of my kids classrooms. Ask me if I even care? You're right, I do care, a lot, but with work and life... Store bought works just fine right now.

A person I hope to be more like:
Honey in faith, Diana in motivation, Jill in kindness, Becca business skills and Alissa in blogging social media skills, and Ashley for blog and word inspiration.

I still strive to be more like these women. Have you met any of them? You should go and check them out and be inspired. It's been a struggle lately because I don't have the time to really follow them on Instagram like I used to. And I know that spending your time on Instagram seems silly and pointless, but when you follow inspiring women, who make Instagram a great place for inspiration, you want to make time to follow. I'll be more conscious to follow these women and their blogs for those days that seem harder than others.

A good deed I’m going to do:
More random acts of kindness.  They really turn your whole day around.

I've been doing little things for friends at work. Sending messages and texts to friends and bloggy besties. Nothing feels better than making someone smile. Try it, it changes your whole day.

A place I’d like to visit:
Somewhere with the Hubbs.  Somewhere with the kids.  Somewhere with my bestie.  It doesn't have to be exotic or far from home, just a little get away.

The Hubbs and I have been doing date days on my days off. These have been fun. I've also had to, out of necessity, taken my girls on more adventures with me. I've never been one to take the girls out for a day of endless errands. But since I started working, it's been working for us. I'm still looking forward to Elevate in May. Some Giants baseball this July. And hopefully some beach time before the summer ends. That's not too much to ask for is it?

A book I’d like to read:
Pride and Prejudice.  I have never read it.  I know.  How can I love books and have never even cracked this one open.

O. M. G. Reading Pride and Prejudice has been so hard for me. I started it in mid January and am seriously only ninety six pages into it. I even went to Wikipedia and read the synopsis. I know totally cheating but I was afraid I wasn't understanding it at all. I haven't given up, but I've never met a book that felt like a chore! So I'm still reading, chapter by chapter, day by day and hopefully by next January, I'll have finished it.

A letter I’m going to write:
To an old friend.  To say hello when they would least expect it.

I haven't done this, but this was a great reminder that I need to. And maybe I'll try to do this once a month to different friends. It's always good to check in.


A new food I’d like to try:
Kale.  I know I'm paleo and all but I have yet to conquer my fear of kale.

Still haven't tried kale other than a sample bite. So please leave your kale recipes in the comments. I'm looking for something easy and delicious. Thanks in advance.

I’m going to do better at:
Minding my temper.  Patience.  Using my words.  Asking for help.  Taking a breath.  Being me.

I've been trying really hard to mind my temper, but work has added stress that has been unparalleled since becoming a mother. So this, like all things Absolute Mommy, is a work in progress. It's with prayer and grace that I continue to mind my temper. 


I feel like this check in with my resolutions was good for me. It's going to hold me accountable and remind me of some of the promises I made to myself. I really want this year to be a year full of positive changes. Like my new job, and hopefully a greater presence on my blog and in my home life. Resolutions don't have to die at the end of January, they can be re-established and given new life. All we have to do is check in with them some time and realize they can be broken or they can be reborn. Will you be checking in with your resolutions too?