WIWW: Finding Inspiration when you must shop your closet


I knew that going back to work was going to be an adjustment. I just didn't realize that I'd have to readjust my fashion sense as well. Gone are the days spent in leggings and long sweaters. I've had to step it up in the "what I'm wearing" department. Last week I wrote about the fashionista I used to be. This week I'm writing about how I continually find inspiration and new ways to wear things I already own. Shopping my closet has become a way of life.


No joke Pinterest has become my virtual In Style Magazine. You can type in "denim shirt/black jeggings" and come up with results like this. Simple, easy, and something I just couldn't see in my own closet. Of course I had to put my own spin on it so I could wear it to work, but I could also add in the flats, a tank, and a necklace instead of a scarf in the summer and wear it just as fashionably. 


What can one do with a maroon sweater that just sits in the back of your closet. Type it into a Pinterest search and see what you find. Its such a "Why didn't I think of that" kind of moment, but seriously, I would have never. Next time you are undecided about what you wear, type it into a Pinterest search and let the magic happen!


Also when you are completely in love with a new scarf (minor purchase and perk of the new job), you look for new ways to wear it. I got lucky this time, and found this little mint sweater on Clearance at Target. Perfect. Still I needed a shirt to bring the entire look together. Well I found one, except it was really tight in the arms and they totally bunched in the sleeves of the sweater. When I thought about it, I knew I would never wear this shirt because of how uncomfortable it was in the arms. This is a before baby shirt. I've kept it around and worn it a few times, usually open in the summer. But now I need a white button down for some of my favorite cardis. So I took that white button up, bought on a Gap clearance round, over 8 years ago, and cut off the sleeves. You can't tell, can you? Someone should really take away my scissors! 


In case you are wondering, the sleeves of this denim shirt are cut off too. I know, I know, I can't just cut all my clothes up. Trust me the Hubbs hates that I cut the hoods off hooded sweatshirts and brand new Bulldog Football t-shirts. But I had two denim shirts and this one fit the worst and so... I can also wear it in the summer with shorts. So cutting your clothes is not always a bad thing, if it makes you wear them more.


So this isn't exactly a work outfit, but I felt like it deserved note. This is what happens when you work an eight hour shift and then have to attend Open House at your kid's elementary school. I wanted to be comfortable and warm. So I piled on the flannel and the sweaters and accessorized with uggs. Black and white is chic anywhere, am I right?


This isn't my favorite white shirt, but a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do. I really, really wanted to wear this cardi, but the tank I bought to wear with it showed too many flaws. Yes, I said flaws, so instead of hanging the cardi back up I wore this shirt with ruffles on the boobs. Once long ago I was a busty little thing. Then babies were born and my boobs moved to another dimension. This shirt makes me look top heavier in my opinion and I've resorted to calling it my Seinfeld Puffy shirt. If you know what that means, ten points for Gryffindor.


Obligatory selfie to show off my necklace from the Caroline G Shop giveaway.
It's the perfect accessory for my Gatsby cardi and my big sunnies.
It also makes me look like I'm put together and someone who wears jewelry.
I'm not.

Work has forced me to come out of my fashion shell again and that isn't a bad thing. In fact I've become more aware of what looks good and how to DIY a few things. Inspiration can come from anywhere, and at anytime, like in your closet, forty minutes before work, as you search Pinterest in your underwear. I mean, I wouldn't know, but I heard about that once.