MMT Part 4: Diagnosis, Treatment, More DOD

If you are still hanging in there this is part 4 of my Medical Mystery Tour. 
If you'd like to catch up please read parts: ONE, TWO, and THREE.

Hello friends, family and readers.  I've been back for almost a week, and I've been putting this off.  Not because the news is bad (ok a little bad news, but more on that later), but because I knew this post was going to be a long one.  I've been racking my brain trying to shorten it up.  I'm trying to condense this down as much as possible without leaving too much out.

Last Wednesday I had my first appointment with Dr. Rick Peterson at Health Now Medical Clinic.  Let me tell you that this wellness clinic looked like a simple office building from the street, but is pretty legit in it's own right when you walk in.  Everyone was welcoming and helpful.  Offering ideas on where to lunch and shop.  But let's get down to what's important.

Right off the bat, Dr. Rick (as he likes to be called), let us know that he was going to give us all the information we needed to get me better.  That he, and his team, were more than prepared to treat my entire body, and not just my symptoms.  He assured me that he wanted to find the root of the problem just as much as I did, and not just put a bandaid on the situation.
Should I type that again?  Because that's really what he said.

So he gave us some basics into my test results right away.  First of all I am no longer absorbing any B vitamins that I am eating.  My body has stopped absorbing most nutrients as my stomach and intestines are inflamed.  Gross right?  Well, add to that that the B vitamins are what give you energy.  Well, hello fatigue!  He also said that according to my test, my adrenal glands are no longer functioning correctly.  Which means that not only are my hormones out of whack, but I'm not even producing enough cortisol to have a functioning adrenals.  While my iron is at an acceptable level, my ferritin is not.  Which means I'm not anemic, but I'm not really absorbing iron properly either.  Let's add to that by stating that my C-Reactive Protien (cardiac) is at 6 times the average level.  That means that my arteries are not only strained, but also inflamed, at a very high level.  If I were obese or overweight I could be at a very large risk for a list of cardiac/heart problems.  This would also be a good time to mention my parasite.  Her name is yersinia and she is a total beezy.  She's causing me to take antibiotics.  Something I hate to do.  Well, more on her later.

Now let's talk diagnosis and prognosis, since I have your attention.  I'm not dying.  Really.  I'm just sick, or let's say injured.  My immune system, gut, and adrenal system are injured.  They are working triple time to treat common infections and inflamations.  Which is making me feel like crap.  The good news, rather great news is, that it's all treatable.  With antibiotics, supplements, diet, and B12 shots.  Oh did I forget to mention those.  Yes, my hubby, gets to play Dr. McDreamy, and give me B12 shots in the bum, 3 times a week, for at least 12 weeks.  Let me tell you they hurt like I don't even know what!  So while I hate pills and medicine, except for my daily birth control pill, these supplements are the key to my recovery.  So I've gotta find my big girl panties and get set to let some healing begin.

Also I feel like I'd let you all down, if I didn't talk diet.  As in the Diet Of Death.  I'm still on it.  The only thing I've added back is eggs.  That took a long 3 days.  That my friends is a post on it's own.  Any way, I've been advised, until I'm rid of Ms. Beezy Yersenia, I have to stay on the DOD.  I've been 18 days without caffeine and sugar.  It's still tough to drive by Starbucks and not shed a tear. 

Here's the part you are not going to believe.  Seriously are you sitting down?  After receiving all my test results I also received my results for cross reactive antibodies.  That roughly translates to other foods my body is allergic to. 
I tested "out of range", which means way over the index on the following:
Milk
Casein
Cheese (duh milk)
Hemp
Buckwheat
Amaranth
Quinoa
Tapioica

Here are the borderline foods (almost allergic to/on my way to being allergic to)
Sorgum
Millet
Yeast
Rice

You don't have to ask.  I was completely shocked.  Those that are italicized and underlined are GLUTEN FREE.  No joke.  I've been eating gluten free without a care in the world and half of what I'm eating is cross reactive for me.  WOW.  I am currently, and was on that day super bummed about rice.  Rice has been my buddy, my road dog, my hero.  Rice is what saved me on my honeymoon in Hawaii.  Rice is what saved me on that bachelorette trip in San Francisco.  Rice has been saving me for a while.  And now, well now I'm going to have to say goodbye.

Which brings me back to my DOD, or what will now be my actual diet for at least the next 3-4 months.  According to Dr. Rick, going completely and 100% grainless, is going to get me better faster.  So not only will I be staying away from wheat and gluten, but rice, corn, oats, and anything else considered a grain.  For the next 3-4 months.  After that I can be re-tested, and hopefully I can start to re-introduce the non-gluten grains.

I'm going to admit a few things now.  Things I'm not proud of.  I have thrown more than a few fits about this.  Argued with the husband a few times.  Snapped at people who I feel are asking "stupid" questions. 

I've retreated a bit.  I didn't want to call my friends and tell them all this.  I was mad about it.  I was greiving my former diet.  Resisting the change, and implementing my new diet.  I was sad and angry about rice.  I was really ticked that I had to take another antibiotic after having to take a prev pack in August.  What do you mean there is another parasite??  I almost died (huge over exageration here) from the last antibiotic!

Then last night, after talking to the pharmacist again about my Cipro perscription, I cried in the car.  Why am I so upset and pissed off about Cipro?  Who gets angry and pissy about rice?  My diagnosis and treatment could include chemo.  It could be a lot of chemo, or surgery, or hospitalization.  Or even worse "untreatable".  So I have to stop this pitty party.  Put on my big girl panties, and get to work.  

THIS IS DOABLE!  THIS IS TREATABLE!  THIS IS EASY!

So I did.  I started the Cipro this morning.  And by this afternoon I had tingling hands and feet, which could mean an allergic reaction, so as advised, I stopped it.  I tried.  I'm still on the DOD, and guess what, I found little things that make me happy.  Like 100% organic sugar free all natural fruit rope.  Sounds delicious right?  Well to me it tastes like candy.  To me it's a little victory.  To me it's pushing me down this road to recovery.

Thanks if you are still with me!  Thanks if you've made it to the end!  If you have any questions leave them in the comments.  If you'd like to know more shoot me an email!

Thank you for all your prayers.  They worked.  They got me here, and they will get me well.

Happy Blogging,
Megan